The History of Geumcheon-gu

The History of Geumcheon-gu
History
Geumcheon-gu map imageGeumcheon-gu is situated at the center of the southwest area of Seoul and is a historic region that has been the heart of Gyeonggi area.
The current area of Geumcheon-gu was reportedly ruled by the Baekje Kingdom, but there has been no precise historic evidence to support it, and since the end of the 4th century, it was known as Ingbeolno-hyeon (仍伐奴縣) in the territory of Goguryeo. Ingbeolno means ‘a stretching land or a big field’. This name was changed to Gokyang-hyeon (穀壤縣) in the 16th year of King Gyeongdeok’s reign (AD 757) when the three kingdoms were united. In the 23rd year of King Taejo’s reign (940) of Goryeo Dynasty, the name was changed to Geumju (衿州), and the letter Geum (衿), meaning a collar, began to be associated with the current name. While it was called Geumju during the Goryeo Dynasty, it was changed to Geumcheon-hyeon (衿川縣) in the 13th year of King Taejong’s reign (1413) of the Joseon Dynasty. The name Geumcheon-hyeon lasted for about 380 years until the 19th year of King Jeongjo’s reign (1795) when it was changed to Siheung-hyeon (始興縣).
The jurisdiction of Geumcheon-hyeon in the Joseon Dynasty was very extensive, covering Gwacheon-hyeon (果川縣) to the east, Bupyeong-bu (富平府) to the west, Ansan-gun (安山郡) to the south, and Nodulnaru (露梁津) to the north. According to the Yeojidoseo (與地圖書, a descriptive geography of the Joseon Dynasty), the Geumcheon-hyeon in the late Joseon Dynasty consisted of 1,873 households with a population of 7,763, and the jurisdiction had six myeons and 39 dongs and ris.
The area’s name was again changed to Siheung-hyeon (始興縣) in the 19th year of King Jeongjo’s reign (1795), and was raised to the status of Siheong-gun (始興郡) in 1895, and its jurisdiction covered the current Geumcheon-gu, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Gwanak-gu, Guro-gu, and parts of Anyang-si and Gwangmyeong-si. The district office was located in the current Siheung 5–dong area.
In 1910, the district office was moved to Mullae-dong of Yeongdeungpo-gu, and in 1936, the Yeongdeungpo area was ruled under the jurisdiction of Gyeongseong-bu, and the district office was in Yeongdeungpo until 1945 when Yeongdeungpo-gu was established by the occupation of the US Army. In 1963 as Seoul city’s jurisdiction expanded, Siheung, Doksan, and Garibong areas were incorporated into Yeongdeungpo-gu. Then, as the populations of Siheung and Doksan-dong increased, the administrative district was divided into a few, and as a regional development plan centered on Guro Industrial Complex was launched, Guro-gu was newly established in 1980 and the current Geumcheon area belonged to the Guro-gu.
On Dec. 22, 1994, ‘The Act on the Establishment of Nine Autonomous Districts including Geumcheon-gu and on the Changes of the Jurisdictions of Special Cities, Metropolitan Cities, and Provincial Areas’ was legislated, and on March 1, 1995, the entire areas of Doksan-dong and Siheung-dong and part of Garibong-dong became Gasan-dong, starting anew as Geumcheon-gu.