Cultural Properties

Cultural Properties
Hanumul and the 2nd Well Site
Hanumul and the 2nd Well Site ImageHanumul is located at the top (315m above sea level) of Mt. Hoam (93-2 San, Siheung-dong, Geumcheon-gu). It is also called Yongbo (龍洑) or Yongchu (龍湫). It was built during the Unified Silla Period (6th-7th century), and was rebuilt during the Joseon Dynasty after being relocated a bit to the west. Its dimensions during the Unified Silla Period were 17.8m from east to west, 13.6m from north to south, and 2.5m in depth, and 22m from east to west, 12m from north to south, and 1.2m in depth during the Joseon Dynasty, respectively.
This well was used for rain ceremonies during droughts and also by the military during wars.
During the Japanese invasion of Korea, General Sun Geo-yi along with General Gweon Yul at Haeungjusanseong Fortress used this well as the water supply for their military troops, and the Dongguk Yeoji Seungnam records, “There was an old castle in Mt. Hoam and a pond in the castle. When the weather was dry, we prayed for rain,” signaling that there were rain ceremonies during droughts. Also, there have been rumors that this was used to contain fire in relation to the establishment of the Joseon Dynasty. The 2nd Well site is located 300m away from southeastern Hanumul with a size of 18.5m from north to south, 10m from east to west, and 2m in depth, and has not been restored since its discovery in 1990. It offers a mystery with its consistent cleanness of the water despite being located on the top of the mountain.
Graveyard for the Descendants of Lord Yangdo, the An Clan of Sunheung
Graveyard for the Descendants of Lord Yangdo, the An Clan of Sunheung ImageGraveyard for the Descendants of Lord Yangdo, the An Clan of Sunheung was built in the late Goryeo and the early Joseon Dynasty, and located at 126-1 san, Siheung-dong, Geumcheon-gu. This preserves several tombs, including Yangdogong (良度公) Angyeongdong (安景恭) (1347-1421), three tombs of his descendants, and three steles for those who served as high-ranking public servants with level 2 pum (the title of high ranking officials) or higher during Joseon Dynasty. Also, a stone statue of a scholar and a stone statue of a warrior are located while a stone lantern is in between the two. This place offers a historic value as a resource for the grave system of the early Joseon Dynasty as several graves from one family are concentrated.
Mt. Hoam Fortress
Mt. Hoam Fortress ImageThe surface of the mountain fortress is in a long diamond shape from northeast to southwest, and is a typical peak-banding style fortress alongside the ridges at 325 meters above sea level, which made the most of its natural geographic features for defense with its total length at about 1,250m. The fortress has been abandoned for a while, and only about 300 meters of the wall is in relatively good condition. There is no literary record that specifies the purpose and construction date of this fortress, based on related data obtained through excavated relics and remains from the fortress, its strategic location and topography; it was allegedly built during the 12th year of King Munmu’s reign of the Unified Silla Period, and it was used during the Silla-Tang War to effectively defend and attack the land route from Han River to Suwon and the sea route to Namyang Bay.
Seokgusang (Dog Statue)
Seokgusang (Dog Statue) Site ImageIt is located 50 meters from northeastern Hanumul, and it was known as Haetaesang (statue of mythical unicorn lion) to the public in relation to the Joseon Kingdom’s decision to choose the capital. The statue was reportedly arranged to face the Haetae statues at Gyeongbok Palace in order to suppress "fire energy" of Mt. Gwanaksan and to protect Seoul city from fire in the town.
However, this statue looks more like a dog rather than a unicorn lion, and according to the Gyeonggieupji written in 1956, it is considered to be a dog statue. Its size is 1.7m long, 0.9m wide, and 1m high, and the technique of stone statue was sophisticated and realistic, depicting the eyes, nose, ears, lips, feet, and tail realistically.
Seokyaksa Seated Buddha
Seokyaksa Seated Buddha ImageSeokyaksa Seated Buddha is located at Yaksajeon Hall of Hoapsa Temple at 234 Siheung 2-dong, Geumcheon-gu. The Buddha is believed to have been built in the 16th century, and is made of stone of 102cm height, 36cm shoulder width, and 56cm width between the knees. The statue was designated as Seoul City’s Cultural Properties Materials No. 8 on April 10, 2000. Seokyaksa Seated Buddha is depicted with delicately carved, low topknot-shaped hair and a large rectangular face with some curves, which are techniques from the late Goryeo Dynasty and the early Joseon Dynasty. The damage to face and knees were repaired with gold plating.
Hoapsa Temple
Hoapsa Temple ImageHoapsa Temple located at 234 Siheung 2-dong, Geumcheon-gu, was built in the 2nd year of King Taejo’s reign by a Great Priest Muhak, and re-constructed in 1841. In 1935, the Yaksajeon with its six building compartments was added. It is the only traditional temple in Geumcheon-gu with a legendary story about the establishment of Hoapsa Temple.
When King Taejo founded the Joseon Dynasty and built the palace, the work did not go smoothly and several times, the buildings collapsed. Then one night, there was a mysterious creature in the dark that looked half-tiger and half-unknown tried to gush out fire from his eyes to burn down the buildings.
King Taejo ordered his guards to fire arrows at it, but the creature still destroyed the buildings after being showered with arrows, and then vanished.
When Taejo returned to his bedroom in dismay, he heard the robust voice of an old man saying "Hanyang is the best place to build the capital." Being surprised, Taejo asked who he was. Then the voice answered, “That does not matter. I’m here to free you from the worries.” When Taejo asked the old man for a good solution, the old man pointed at the peak of a mountain south of Han River. Taejo looked at the place where the old man was pointing at, startled, and raised his voice, “There is a tiger! The head of that tiger (mountaintop) is overlooking Hanyang.” Then Taejo asked the old man to teach how to suppress the energy coming from the mountaintop.
The old man told him, "As a tiger's tail is its weakest point, build a temple at the tail part of the mountaintop, and everything will be fine,” and then he abruptly vanished. The following day, building of the temple commenced and it was named Hoapsa Temple.
Kim So Wol’s Poetry Azaleas
Kim So Wol’s Poetry Azaleas ImageThe book of poetry ‘Azaleas’ was published by Maemunsa Publication on Dec. 26, 1925, and is the first edition of Kim So Wol (Real name: Kim Jeong-sik, Aug. 6, 1902 – Dec. 24, 1934) during his lifetime, which has been registered as a cultural property as it contained many poems of folk and traditional emotions in restrained line.
The ‘Azaleas’ has been published by many other publications even after So Wol’s death, and is recognized as one of the most beloved works by the nation, and this book also carries not only the ‘Azaleas’ which continued the legacy of ancient poems like ‘Gasiri’ or ‘Arirang,’ but also ‘Many Years Later,’ ‘Flowers on the Mountain,’ ‘Mother and Sister,’ and ‘Dusk.’